How Hair Extensions Are Sewn In
1. Choose hair extensions. There are two kinds of extensions: human hair and synthetic hair.
2. Choose a color that most closely matches your own hair color.
3. Calculate how much hair you need. The amount of hair you’ll need depends on the thickness of your own hair and how much length and/or fullness you want to add.
4. Think about hairstyles and decide how you want your hair to fall after you have the extensions in place.
5. Wash and condition the hair. Dry hair completely with a blow dryer and comb through it to ensure there are no knots or snarls.
6. Part your hair at the point(s) on the head where you want to add the extension.
7. Create the cornrow.
- Start at one side of the head.
- Grab three small, fairly equal size amounts of hair from the thin section of hair you’ve reserved for the cornrow.
- Begin by crossing the hair in your right hand underneath the hair in your center section. Then cross the hair in your left hand underneath the hair that’s now in the center.
- Secure the end of the cornrow braid with a hair elastic or rubber band.
8. Sew the Hair
- Thread your needle.
- Secure the weft together.
- Make the first stitch.
- Attach the extension.
- Make a knot.
- Continue sewing.
- End the row.
- Cut if necessary.