How Human Hair Extensions Are Made
1. Measure the human hair weft, and cut the hair weft to the correct width.
2. Layer two or three wefts on top of each other.
In general, a single layer of hair weft is not enough for people with normal to thick hair.
- You will need 3 layers if you want to make your hair look thicker.
- You will need measure and cut one or two more hair wefts, identical to the first one. There will be enough hair in a single pack of hair wefts to do this.
- You can use your hand or sewing machine to sew the layers together along the weft lines or you can stick them together by using bonding glue.
- If you decide to use bonding glue, run a thick line of bonding glue just beneath the weft line on the first piece of hair, then stick the second piece on top, ridge side up.
- Do the same with the third layer of hair, then wait for the bonding glue to dry completely.
3. Sew the extension clips to the hair.
- You’ll need to put one clip on either side of the extensions, right at the edge, and one in the middle to prevent the extensions from sagging.
- Make sure to sew the clips to the side of the extensions with the rubber ridges!
- Make sure to sew the extension clips with the comb side up!
- Bring the needle, and thread up over the top of the extensions, and pass it through the second small hole. Continue doing this until you reach the last hole on the clip. Pass the needle and thread through, then tie several small knots in the thread to secure before cutting off the rest.
4. Apply the hair extensions correctly.
- Pin up all of the hair above your ears.
- Take a comb and tease the hair at the roots, then spritz it with hairspray.
- Open the clips on your hair extensions and fasten them onto the exposed roots — one behind each ear and one in the middle.
- Let down an extra inch of hair and repeat the process of teasing and hair spraying before applying the second set, if you decided to make a second set of extensions for added thickness.
- Let down the top section of hair and brush or comb to combine your natural hair with the extensions.
- Style your hair extensions as normal by using a flat iron or curling tongs.