Although hair extensions are made with 100% Remy human hair, they don’t receive natural oils from the scalp. Therefore, you don’t need to wash them frequently. It is recommended to wash hair every 15-20 wears. Or, you can wash it when there is a lot of product build-up to the point where they become unmanageable to style. In fact, if you want to wear the hair extension for a long time, you had better less wash your extensions.
Step 1. Brush extensions
Brush extensions out before getting them wet, minimizing the possibility of tangling during and after you have washed the hair. You can use a wide-tooth comb to brush extensions, starting from bottom to top in order to gently remove any tough knots without pulling the hair out. You can neatly place your wefts on top of each other in a bundle, for this ensures the hair does not tangle with the clips during the washing process.
Step 2. Prepare sink
- Prepare a squeaky clean sink.
- Plug the drain.
- Fill it up with warm water.
- Squirt about 2-3 pumps or a small handful of shampoo in to the water.
- Wave the water around to ensure the product is evenly dispersed.
It is recommended to use hair products that are alcohol free, sulfate free, and designed for colored treated hair or extensions in order to ensure the color is preserved.
Step 3. Shampoo each weft
It is recommended to split your set up in to small, manageable chunks of wefts to ensure every weft gets washed thoroughly and equally. Or, you can bundle up the entire set and wash it, if you’re short on time.
- Hold the top of the wefts in one hand.
- Dunk them in to the water.
- Wash them.
- Gently apply shampoo into the hair with your fingers with light strokes.
Finally, set bundle of wefts aside neatly on a towel and repeat the same thing to the rest of the extensions.
Step 4. Condition your extensions
This step ensures that your extensions remain moisturized, nourished, and soft. Both regular conditioner and deep conditioning hair treatment can help you.
- Take a generous amount of conditioner or hair treatment.
- Apply on each bundle of wefts from top to bottom.
- Massage the product thoroughly into the hair.
- Leave the product on hair for at least an hour. In general, if you want to get the best result, you can put your extensions in a shower cap to leave the treatment on overnight, for this will help to seal in the moisture and really condition the hair.
- Rinse out the conditioner. You have to rinse out each weft thoroughly. Otherwise, hair may feel a bit greasy once it has dried if there is product residue on it.
It is recommended to wash hair with cold water on the last seconds, for it can help close the cuticles of the hair to seal in the moisture and make the extensions more shiny.
Step 5. Let extensions air dry
Make sure that the hair is completely wringed of water before setting up your extensions to dry. To prolong the lifespan of extensions, you had better let them air dry instead of using heat, for using heat on hair can harm them in the long run. If you have to use a blow dryer, you must use a heat protectant spray and set it to cool air to prevent damage. Separately lay out all wefts on a towel on a flat surface. Once hair is dry, apply a small amount of hair oil to each weft to ensure the hair remains manageable and silky smooth.
Step 6. Comb each weft
In general, you had better not comb through wet hair, for it is more elastic and can break easily. However, you can try brushing through each weft with a wide tooth comb from bottom to top in order to ensure that your extensions dry straight with little to no tangles.
- It is recommended to wash hair extensions every 15-20 wears.
- You can directly wash new hair extensions since they are hygienic product and completely safe to wear right out of the box.
- Use natural and organic hair products which are sulfate free, alcohol free, and are designed for color treated hair or hair extensions.
- Gently brush the curls and the product out with a soft bristle brush from bottom to top.
- Use heat protectant and a hair straightener on a low to medium heat setting to straighten the set.
- Brush extensions before air-drying overnight.
- Use some hot styling tools to achieve any desired look.
- Always use heat protectant and heat styling tools on a low to medium setting.
Do you like this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: