Can we get straight, silky and shiny hair at home? To make your hair look its best for any occasion, you can follow the instructions below.
Step 1. Start in the Shower
Wash, rinse and repeat.
First, we should know that moisture is hair’s best friend. To make sure our locks don’t get dry and brittle from the heat styling, and to avoid excessive frizz and prevent split ends, we should use a deep conditioner or hair mask once a week.
- Apply hair mask or deep conditioner throughout hair.
- Comb it throughout locks.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse hair with cold water.
Before buying shampoo or conditioner, we should check the label. It is recommended to choose products with aloe or keratin, as these encourage optimal hair health and growth.
Step 2. Protect Strands
Do not forget to protect strands for excess heat can strip all moisture from hair.
- First, towel-dry hair and carefully squeeze out any excess water. Never rub the towel on hair, as this will rough up the follicles, causing breakage and frizz.
- Next, detangle hair with a wide-tooth comb, starting combing at the ends and work way up until the knots are all undone.
- Third, apply a heat protectant spray evenly throughout damp hair, limiting the damage done to follicles from heat styling tools. To preserve the moisture in hair, we should wait until our hair is about 80% dry before moving onto the next step.
Step 3. Blow Dry Hair the Right Way
Divide hair into sections and pin up the top layers once it has dried 80% of the way. Comb through the individual sections of hair with a paddle brush while blow-drying, starting with the bottom layers and finishing with the top. Although it is a slower process, it can ensure that hair gets dried evenly and is smoothed in the process. We recommended pointing the dryer downwards, blowing air in the direction of the cuticle, moving from root to tip.
It’s important to know the difference when shopping blow dryer for some can cause more damage than others. It is recommended to use one with an ionic setting, as it will dry hair quickly without causing too much damage. We should use the blow dryer’s cool setting and blast hair with the cool air for about one minute in order to give it a little extra shine by sealing the hair cuticle, once hair is smooth and dry.
Step 4. Flat Iron Hair
We can turn to a high quality ceramic flat iron to take hair to the next level. We can choose a suitable flat iron according to our hair type. For instance, fine hair can choose a low heat setting, while thick hair needs a high heat setting.
- Make sure the hair is almost completely dry before we start.
- Then, divide hair into small sections, straightening one piece at a time and pinning up the rest to keep it out of the way.
- Always brush each lock before starting, for this will prevent any strands from coming out crimped or wavy.
- Do not forget to spray each section with heat protectant!
- Straighten hair starting near the roots and slowly moving towards the ends.
- Go over the same section again with a brush, while following the brush with flat iron.
- Finally, add in hair extensions to add length and volume.
Step 5. Apply Product
Some oil can help us for finishing off freshly straightened hair. We can only apply a small amount of it through hair in order to smooth out any annoying fly-away and make it look extra shiny and glamorous. We have to concentrate on the ends of hair while applying oil for this area tends to be the driest. Do not apply excessive amounts, especially around roots, for a lot of oil can leave hair looking greasy.
Step 6. Preserve Hairstyle
Avoid washing hair more than needed. Washing and straightening hair on a daily basis can do more harm than good, although keeping hair clean is a good thing. And, excessive heat and washing can actually strip hair of the natural oils. It is recommended to wash hair every other day and use a dry shampoo in between washed to preserve straight hairstyle and absorb any excess oil sitting at the roots.
Besides, sleeping on a satin pillowcase not only can help to prevent frizz and follicle damage but also keeps hair looking better, longer.
Now, you should know how to style your hair perfectly every time, and you also need to know key steps to maintain strong, healthy hair in between your regular trims. In general, silky, straight hair is also quite versatile! You not only can style in a ponytail, a boho braid but also can leave it down and flowing.
Sources and Citations