Benefits of Stretching Your Hair
- Stretching natural hair allows you to see your hair length.
- Stretching natural hair prepares the hair for other styles.
- Stretching natural hair makes for an easier detangling session.
How to Stretch Natural Hair Without Using Direct Heat
- Set, and then separate
Install a style (such as braids, twists, flexi rods, curlformers, or rollers in your hair) to stretch your hair. For braids/twists, 2-8 braids are typically sufficient. Braids will produce a better stretch than twists will if you have tightly curled hair. Wrap your hair after installing a roller of some sort and wear a scarf overnight, if you want maximum stretch.
- Blow dry your roots
Blow dry roots on a cool setting. Simply pull a section of hair taut, and then use the nozzle end on your blowdryer to blow dry your roots. If you are pressed for time, this will provide instant stretch. This is called the tension method.
- Section hair off.
- Wrap a ponytail holder around the first section.
- Place ponytail holders down the hair shaft, spacing them out a bit in order to let the hair “breathe”, elongating your hair and making a bomb faux blowout.
- Divide hair into two sections.
- Twist hair in on itself.
- Bun it up.
- Secure it with a ponytail holder.
- Flip your hair up into a high ponytail.
- Secure with a clip or ponytail holder.